Monday, October 6, 2014

Writing Material In Your Rehearsal Space

When I was a kid, my favorite thing to do was "jam."  By that, I mean I would cram myself and a few friends into a bedroom, we would all take turns playing new riffs we came up with, and eventually a rough version of a song would emerge.  It was necessary to our musical development, and was a dang good time.

Skip forward a few years, and I am playing with established recording artists.  This time, I am in a real recording studio.  The creative process went down far different.  The focus was on the arrangement of the song, and not the "riff."

I say all this in the context of a band rehearsal: the creative band rehearsal.  I think it is very important to break up the process BEFORE the entire band shows up for rehearsal.  Pick a producer, or band leader, to come up with an arrangement.  Be careful about where the guitar, keys, or drums do their fills.  Ultimately, it will help you be a better band.

If you want to see what a great rehearsal should feel like, give us a call at 713-396-2473 or visit us on the web at bandpracticerooms.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment